Orthopaedics and Traumatology is a discipline of Medicine that deals with the medical and surgical management of diseases and injuries involving the musculo-skeletal systems. The specialty includes traumatology, spine, paediatric orthopaedics, adult joint reconstruction, hand and microsurgery, musculo-skeletal oncology, orthopaedic sports medicine, feet and ankle surgery and orthopaedic rehabilitation.
The orthopedic centre in Union is comprised of a team of experienced orthopedic surgeons and various diagnostic and treatment methods and advanced surgical equipment, which aims at delivering comprehensive and save treatment to various bone, tendons and ligament conditions.
Orthopedic specialist services
Orthopedic treatments include:
- Common traumas, such as fractures, joint dislocation (reduction and fixation)
- Common spinal surgeries, including problems of low back pain, sciatic pain, scoliosis, vertebral dislocation, spinal stenosis, etc.
- Lower limb abnormalities and gait are parents’ concerns. For example, flatfoot, hallus valgus, in-toe and out-toe walking, limb length discrepancy (short leg syndrome)
- Knee and shoulder arthroscopic surgery play the major parts in orthopaedic sports medicine, such as cruciate ligament reconstruction, meniscal repair, removal of loose bodies, arthroscopic subacromial decompression, rotator cuff repair, recurrent dislocation repair
- Arthritis management, including lifestyle changes, medications, physiotherapy, injections and surgeries (joint replacement is the most suitable treatment option for surgeries)
Orthopedic surgeons would perform various surgeries according to the needs of the patients.
Common Orthopedic Surgeries
- Sports Injuries
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
- Meniscectomy or meniscal repair
- Recurrent dislocation of shoulder joint
- Joint Replacement (Arthroplasty) – most common for knee and hip joints
- Reset – manual reset or open reset
- External fixation: cast, external stent
- Internal fixation: bone screws, metal plates, IM nails, etc
- Fixation and reduction – pedicle screws are commonly used
- Hip joint replacement
- CT guided spinal surgery
- Microscopic lumbar disc resection
- Microscopic decompression for spinal canal stenosis
- Posterior dynamic stabilization device implantation
- Interbody fusion & vertebroplasty
- Therapeutic injection for back pain
- Spinal decompression and fusion – classified as anterior and posterior
- Arthroscopy – minimally invasive surgery, removal of loose bodies, injured or inflamed tissues (cartilage, meniscus, ligament) Implantation of autologous tissue or implants for reconstruction of ligament and cartilage
- Corrective surgeries – osteotomy, minimally invasive surgery and amputation, wound care, tumor removal
- Treatments other than surgeries